Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Razakars’ tomorrow | The Daily Star
10:50 AM, February 01, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 01:16 PM, February 01, 2016

Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Razakars’ tomorrow

A special tribunal will deliver its verdict on two alleged Razakars of Netrokona tomorrow over crimes committed against humanity during 1971.

This morning, Justice Anwarul Haque-led International Crimes Tribunal-1 slated the verdict for tomorrow. Previously, trials had concluded and the verdict was kept waiting.

The two alleged Razakars are Obaidul Haque alias Taher and Ataur Rahman Noni.

Tribunal registrar Shahidul Alam Jhinuk told reporters the tribunal directed the jail authority to produce the two accused at tribunal at 10:00am tomorrow.

On March 2 last year the ICT-1 framed six charges against the two for their alleged involvement in crimes against humanity during the country’s Liberation War.

According to the prosecution, the two were involved in the abduction and killing of at least 15 persons and looting and setting fire to between 400 and 450 houses in 1971.

The duo said to have led Razakars, an auxiliary force of the Pakistani occupation army, in the abduction of one Fazlur Rahman Talukder from Baushi Bazar on August 17, 1971. They later killed him in Trimohoni Bazar.

Trial proceeding in the case ended on January 10. On that day, the war crimes tribunal kept the verdict on waiting. The prosecution has sought for capital punishment of the duo.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top