Moheshkhali cop summoned for showing dead war criminal fugitive
International Crimes Tribunal-1 today summoned a sub-inspector of Moheshkhali Police Station of Cox’s Bazar to place his explanation as to why in a report he showed a war crimes accused, who died earlier, as fugitive.
According to the order, the SI Zahirul Haque has to appear before the court on November 26, Prosecutor Rezia Sultana Chaman told The Daily Star.
The tribunal led by Justice Md Shahinul Islam passed the order while hearing the charges in the case filed against 19 accused from Moheshkhali.
Since accused Abdul Majid Master died and another was discharged, the number of the accused stood at 17, the prosecutor said.
Majid died of old-age complications at the age of 85 at his village home on December 22 last year.
He was on the run since a war crimes tribunal issued an arrest warrant against him more than two years ago. The tribunal, its prosecution and investigation agency were unaware of his death till May 25. A defence counsel informed the matter in court for the first time on that day.
The prosecution on July 13 prayed to the ICT-1 to take legal action against the police officials responsible for showing “gross negligence”.
On October 8 of that year, the investigation agency completed its probe into the case and found the involvement of Majid and 17 others in the killing of at least 94 people and other offences during the 1971 Liberation War.
The prosecution pressed 12 charges against them on March 15 last year and the tribunal, taking the charges into cognisance, asked police to give reports on the fugitives.