Over 660,000 displaced during pandemic | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, May 23, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:03 AM, May 23, 2020

Over 660,000 displaced during pandemic

More than 660,000 people have been displaced from their homes in conflict zones around the world since March, despite a UN call for a global ceasefire during the coronavirus pandemic, a top international aid group said yesterday. The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said its figures showed that armed conflict around the world had continued during the pandemic, even as much of globe went into lockdown. This was despite a call on March 23 by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for a global ceasefire for the pandemic. The NRC said a total of 661,000 people have been displaced in 19 countries since then, with the highest number by far in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

 

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top