Rana Plaza owner's tax files under scanner
The National Board of Revenue plans to investigate the income tax irregularities of Sohel Rana, owner of the collapsed Rana Plaza.
Officials said the NBR has found irregularities in Rana's income tax records.
Rana accumulated large sums of money through legal and illegal means but he paid Tk 67,000 in tax last year, a tax official said.
Rana's mother Morzina Begum, who died of a heart attack after the Rana Plaza collapse, paid around Tk 78,000, which is more than what her son paid, the official said.
An NBR high official requesting anonymity said taxmen started working on the income tax files of Rana and his family members. The NBR will form a panel soon to probe tax-related allegations.
Rana sold about 200 shops in Rana Plaza for Tk 20 crore. Rana's tax file shows that he owns a 40 percent share of Rana Plaza while his father Abdul Khaleque owns the remaining 60 percent, an NBR official said.
Rana has another six-storey building, Rana Tower, in Savar. He is also the owner of other properties, including Rana Oil Mills.
In the income tax return for fiscal 2012-13, Rana showed his income to be Tk 1.64 crore.
The building collapse claimed 388 lives, most of them workers. The building in Savar on the outskirts of Dhaka also housed five garment factories.