All-out measures taken to avoid casualties | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 10, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:14 AM, November 10, 2019

All-out measures taken to avoid casualties

19 lakh moved to cyclone centres in 14 coastal dists

Over 19 lakh people were evacuated from their homes in 14 coastal districts and sent to cyclone shelters yesterday to reduce the number of casualties during cyclonic storm Bulbul.

“Around 19 lakh people have been evacuated and taken to 5,551 cyclone shelters by the authorities,” said Dr Md Enamur Rahman, state minister for Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, last night.

Troops of Bangladesh Army were also deployed in Satkhira and Cox’s Bazar to tackle the cyclone and its aftermath, read a press release of Inter-Service Public Relations.

Along with them, members of district administrations, sea port authorities, Bangladesh Navy, Bangladesh Coast Guard and others would be on the ground to fight any possible devastation caused by the storm.

Our Khulna correspondent reported that over three lakh people were evacuated and taken to 800 cyclone shelters in Khulna, Bagerhat and Satkhira.

Some 30 water and saline treatment plants were ready to purify water and make saline in the districts. Besides, 65,000 litres of water were kept ready to send in affected areas, said Azizul Haq Joardar, relief and rehabilitation officer in Khulna.

As part of extra cautionary measures, authorities concerned sent 70,000 packets of oral saline and 60,000 water purifying tablets to each union in coastal areas, he added.

Khulna district administration have opened 10 control rooms. Besides, 114 medical teams were ready to provide medical services.

All the primary schools, high schools and colleges of the district were closed. Leaves for all the government employees of this region were also cancelled.

Some 900 staffer of the forest department, who work in Sundarban, took shelter at safe places inside the forest, said Md Moyeenuddin Khan, CF (conservator of forest) of Khulna circle.

“All the tourists have already been taken back to mainland today [yesterday],” he added.

Meanwhile our Barisal correspondent reported that some 8.50 lakhs people were evacuated in six coastal districts and taken to 2,114 cyclone shelters.

These cyclone shelters have the capacity to accommodate around 17.80 lakhs people, according to the control room of Barisal divisional commissioner’s office.

Talking to The Daily Star, the divisional commissioner Mohammad Yeamin Chowdhury said the process of evacuation was going on. Authorities would apply force to those, who will deny to go to cyclone shelters.

Our Chattogram correspondent reported that over 1.10 lakh people in six districts of the division were evacuated and taken to cyclone shelters.

“We have kept 5,000 medical teams ready to provide medical services in the affected areas of our division. Furthermore, dry food, saline and all other necessary things are ready to be distributed in affected areas,” said Abdul Mannan, the divisional commissioner.

Meanwhile in Patuakhali, police recovered body of a fisher man Billal Hossain, 40, who had been missing since Friday morning after he fell on the bay hit by a large wave, reported our district correspondent.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top