Question paper leak: 'Re-taking SSC exams won't be reasonable'
As SSC question papers reached to very “limited” number of students, re-taking the examinations will not be reasonable, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid said today.
The body formed to probe the alleged leaks found evidence of "Kha" set objective question paper leak of 12 subjects among 17, the minister said at a press briefing at the ministry this afternoon.
"The question papers were not leaked openly. They were leaked through closed groups to only a meager number of students," he said.
Claiming that only 4,000 to 5,000 students out of around 20 lakh examinees got the question papers just immediately before the exams, the probe committee has recommended that re-taking exams will not be sensible.
The education ministry has accepted the report and recommendations of the probe body headed by the secretary of Technical and Madrasa Education Division of the ministry, Nahid added.
The report also found that there were no incidents of question paper leak in the madrasa and technical education boards.
The SSC and its equivalent exams began across the country on February 1.
This year, the leakers of SSC exam questions had caught the government off guard, and whatever it was doing to plug the leaks looked half baked.
This is the largest-ever reported spate of SSC question leak that has drawn fierce criticisms with educationist and guardians fearing the education system would be ruined if this disturbing trend continues.
All 12 question papers of this year's SSC exams had been leaked through social media and messenger apps hours before the exams began.
The government took several measures, including announcing Tk 5 lakh bounty to help the authorities nab those involved in the leak. But all the efforts have gone in vain.
Arrests were made almost regularly and cases were filed, but the real culprits behind the leaks remained at large.