Over 80 people fell sick, around 3,000 fowls died and about 40 acres of cropland got damaged as an ammonia gas pipe exploded in a clod storage at Uttar Thakurgaon village in Sadar upazila.
The explosion might have taken place due to a technical fault around 2:15am on Tuesday, said Md Abdullah, owner of Amanat Cold Storage, adding that the gas pipe was repaired on Wednesday.
Sub Assistant Community Medical Officer of Akcha Union Health Centre Abdullah Al Amin Khan said they provided treatment to around 70 people, including women and children, who came with breathing and other problems.
Besides, six persons were referred to Thakurgaon Sadar Hospital, he said.
Mazedur Rahman, a poultry farm owner of the village, said more than 3,000 fowls of his farm died due to the emission of the toxic gas.
The affected growers said they may face huge losses due to the incident.
During a visit, this correspondent found that crops and fruit orchards like green chilli, maize, pumpkin, mango and litchi, surrounding the cold storage, were almost burnt.
Jahal Lal Roy, 35, said he cultivated pumpkin on 250 decimals of land, which was damaged due to the explosion. The damage could go up to Tk 4 lakh.
Dayal Barman, 35, said his green chilli plants on 150 decimals of land were damaged due to the gas pipe explosion.
He may face loss of Tk 1.5 lakh, said Dayal.
Abdullah, owner of the cold storage, said an agriculture officer of Akcha union parishad was assessing the damage of the crop.
“After completion of the assessment, we will extend cooperation to the affected people,” he said.
Abdullah Al Mamun, upazila nirbahi officer, said an agriculture officer has been asked to assess the damaged crops.
They will take necessary steps after getting the report, he said.