The investigation agency of the International Crimes Tribunal yesterday said to have found evidence over the involvement of nine Mymensingh men, including a former Jatiya Party lawmaker and his two brothers, in crimes committed during the Liberation War in 1971.
They were “involved” in killings, abduction, confinement, torture, looting and collecting ransom from detainees in Trishal upazila of the district in between June and December 1971, said agency's coordinator Abdul Hannan Khan at a press conference at its Dhanmondi office in the capital.
They are Anisur Rahman Manik, 66, former Jatiya Party lawmaker from Trishal; his two brothers Muklesur Rahman Mukul, 65, and Saidur Rahman Ratan, 56; Shamsul Haque Bachchu, 70; Shamsul Haque Fakir, 75; Nurul Haque Fakir, 70; Sultan Fakir alias Sultan Mahmud, 58; ABM Mufazzal Hussain, 70; and Nakib Hossain Adil Sarker, 65.
All are from Trishal and committed crimes there.
Except for Mufazzal, eight of them were supporters of Muslim League in 1971. At present, Mukul, Ratan, Bachchu, Nurul, Shamsul and Sultan are affiliated with BNP politics while Mufazzal with Jamaat-e-Islami and Nakib Jatiya Party.
Of the nine, Bachchu and Mufazzal, who retired as Khulna zone head of Islami Bank in 2009, are now in jail while the rest are on the run, said Sanaul Huq, co-coordinator of the agency.
Motiur Rahman, the case's investigation officer, said he would submit the investigation report and other documents to the Chief Prosecutor's Office today.
Then, the prosecution will scrutinise the documents and if found satisfactory, will press charges against the accused to initiate trial, he said. Several cases have been filed against the accused in the last two years.
The four incidents of crimes they were involved in are killing of freedom fighter Abdul Hamid in August 24, 1971; killing of Yunus Ali on August 26; killing of freedom fighter Abdur Rashid on September 16; abduction of six people in between June and December 16, 1971, and looting and arson.
ICT ALLOWS QUIZZING OF HABIGANJ MAN
International Crimes Tribunal-1 yesterday allowed a prosecution's petition to interrogate a Habiganj man in connection with a case filed for allegedly committing crimes in 1971.
As per the order, investigators will be allowed to interrogate Jamal Uddin Master, 65, at the agency's safe home for one day on January 4, said Prosecutor Rezia Sultana Chaman.
Another accused of the case Abul Khayer Golap alias Golap Mia, 65, of Nabiganj upazila in the district, is also in jail.
Meanwhile, the tribunal directed the prosecution to submit investigation report, if any, on January 30 in the case as Rezia sought one-month time. The accused were allegedly involved in killing, rape, torture and abduction in the district, prosecutor said.
SUBMIT REPORT ON RAJSHAHI SUSPECT FEB 27
Meanwhile, the tribunal directed the prosecution to submit investigation report, if any, on February 27 in a case filed against a Rajshahi man in connection with war-time crimes.
Yesterday was fixed for submitting the report but Prosecutor Mukhlesur Rahman Badal sought three-month time. The accused, Abdus Sattar alias Tipu Sultan, 66, of Boalia upazila, is now in jail.
Sattar was an alleged member of Razakar Bahini during the war, according to the prosecution. He was arrested in a criminal case on May 9 and shown arrested in the war crimes case on May 14.
PROBE OF 57 CASES COMPLETED IN 7 YRS
The investigation agency has so far completed investigation of 57 cases since its inception in 2010. It also found evidence over involvement of 224 people in war-time offences, said Sanaul Huq, co-coordinator of the agency.
In 2017, the agency completed investigating 13 cases while 10 cases each in 2016 and 2015, seven each in 2014 and 2013, three in 2012 and seven in 2011, he said.
Two war crimes tribunals have so far delivered 29 judgements against 59 people. Thirty-seven of them have been sentenced to death.
More than two dozen cases are now pending before the tribunal.