University Grants Commission
The University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh is the statutory apex body in the field of higher education in Bangladesh. The primary objectives of the UGC are to supervise, maintain, promote and coordinate university education. It is also responsible for maintaining standard and quality in all the public and private universities in Bangladesh. The UGC assesses the needs of the public universities in terms of funding and advise Government in various issues related to higher education in Bangladesh.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh was established under the President's Order (P.O.) No. 10 of 1973 which was deemed to have come into force with effect from 16 December 1972.
As the statutory apex body in the field of University Education in Bangladesh, the vision of the UGC is to enhance and strengthen the quality of Higher Education. The standards of teaching and research in public and private universities in the country are the main concern. It also aims to bringing in qualitative improvement in the governance and management of the universities by establishing academic discipline, financial accountability and transparency. To ensure high quality education in the public and private universities, keeping in view the needs and aspirations of the people and the society.
- To develop the universities as centers of excellence which in turn will produce trained and skilled manpower capable of resolving socio-economic problems and contribute in economic progress and prosperity of the country.
- To organize and motivate the universities to act as change agent so that they can create new frontiers of knowledge through demand-driven and innovative research to cope with the rapidly changing globalized society.
- To assess the financial needs of the universities and formulate and implement plans and programs for proper and appropriate development of the universities.
- To foster national, regional and international linkages and collaboration in the field of teaching, learning and to ensure exchange of knowledge, and research.
- To help the universities in staff development, student mobility etc.
Some Private Universities on UGC list:
[university names are in ascending order ]
Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology
ASA University Bangladesh
Asian University of Bangladesh
AtishDipankar University of Science & Technology
Bangladesh University of Business & Technology (BUBT)
BGMEA University of Fashion & Technology
Chittagong Independent University (CIU)
Daffodil International University
Dhaka International University
East West University
European University of Bangladesh
Green University of Bangladesh
Independent University, Bangladesh
International Islamic University, Chittagong
International University of Business Agriculture & Technology
Manarat International University
North South University
Northern University Bangladesh
Premier University, Chittagong
Shanto Mariam University of Creative Technology
Southern University Bangladesh, Chittagong
Stamford University, Bangladesh
State University Of Bangladesh
The Millennium University
The Peoples University of Bangladesh
The University of Asia Pacific
United International University
University of Development Alternative
University of Information Technology & Sciences
University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh
University of Science & Technology, Chittagong
University of South Asia
Victoria University of Bangladesh
World University of Bangladesh