Short Corner | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, January 13, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:25 AM, January 13, 2019

Short Corner

Zia slips to third

Grand Master Ziaur Rahman slipped to third position in the 17th Delhi International Open Grandmasters Chess tournament after being held in the fifth round in New Delhi yesterday.

Zia, who held the second position along with 22 other players after the fourth round, drew against Tajikistan GM Amonatov Farrukh. He now has four points from five matches and a share of the third position alongside 28 others.

Indian GM Debashis Das and Iranian GM Mosadaghpour Masoud shared top spot with a maximum five points, while nine players shared second with 4.5 points each.

FM Mehdi Hasan Parag lost to Russian GM Deviatkin Andrei to remain on three points, but Abzid Rahman beat Indian Srivastava Mithilesh Kumar to climb up with three points from five games.

FM Fahad Rahman also returned to winning ways after losing his previous two matches, beating Indian Aniruddha Chatterjee to secure 2.5 points while Tashin Tajwar Zia lost to Indian Rakshith Srinivasan to have previous 2.5 points.                 --Sports Reporter

 

 

We'll attack Spurs, says Lingard

Jesse Lingard says Manchester United intend to continue their entertaining brand of football under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer when they travel to Tottenham on Sunday.

United have been reinvigorated since Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho last month, winning all five of the Norwegian's matches in league and cup, scoring 16 goals in the process.

That has helped move the Red Devils back into top-four contention in the Premier League, but this weekend provides the first real test of the interim manager.

Title-challengers Spurs pose a real threat to United's winning run, though Lingard insists they will not approach their trip to Wembley any differently than their previous five matches.

"It's going to be tough but, with the run we've been on at the moment and the form we've had, we back ourselves 100 per cent," he told the club's website.

"So we go there with the full intention of winning and getting the three points. We're on a great run at the moment, so to carry it on against Tottenham and to get the win would be perfect.                --Agencies

 

 

Fabregas joins Monaco

Monaco have agreed a deal with Chelsea to bring Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas to Ligue 1.

The 31-year-old had been out of favour at Stamford Bridge this season and, with his contract expiring in June, has departed for the French top flight on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

Fabregas joined Chelsea in 2014 and had initially been a key player for Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte, winning the Premier League title under both.

However, Maurizio Sarri's arrival ahead of 2018-19 effectively spelled the end of Fabregas' Chelsea career, as the Italian brought in his former Napoli midfielder Jorginho, who instantly took the Spaniard's position.

The transfer brings Fabregas' long association with English football to an end, at least for the time being, having played 501 times for Arsenal and Chelsea.

"It is a great pleasure to join AS Monaco, a new project for me," said Fabregas. "The group is of quality with young players and a young coach.

"I'm here to help the team, I'm looking forward to starting, we have a great match to play in Marseille on Sunday. I am very excited."    --Agencies

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top