Not expecting walkover: Rohit | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, January 11, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:06 AM, January 11, 2019

Not expecting walkover: Rohit

India's vice-captain Rohit Sharma insists Australia are still a quality ODI side and won't be a walkover, despite resting their premier quicks and a dreadful recent record in the format.

Quicks Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Mitchell Starc have all been rested from the three-match series that starts on Saturday at the SCG.

Of that trio, only Hazlewood played in the last ODI series against India in Australia in 2016 and he participated in only the first of the five games.

"We were still beaten 4-1," Sharma said.

"Of course those three are their premier bowlers but they have got the guys who can do the job for them.

"Their bowling lineup can put us under pressure without a doubt.

"It's not going to be an easy walkover situation for us.

"We've got to grind it out there, face the challenge and make sure that we put them under pressure.

"Of course the team is high on confidence right now, so we've got to carry that into this format as well and make sure that we keep doing the right things."

Defending World Cup holders Australia won just two of their 13 ODIs last year, while India racked up 14 wins, four losses and two ties in 2018.

India are ranked second behind England, while Australia have plummeted to sixth.

Sharma expected Australia to show fight at home while suggesting the losses of banned batsmen Steve Smith and David Warner had impacted on the side.

"Obviously they are missing a few players but that puts a little bit of pressure on their batting group," Sharma said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top