Militant siblings surrender, promise to return to normal life

- 2 brothers and a sister linked with Hizb-ut Tahrir
- Eldest sister is former DU student
- Six of the family involved in militancy
- Police to ensure legal assistance for the siblings
Three siblings, alleged members of banned militant outfit Hizb-ut Tahrir, have surrendered before police promising to return to normal life in Jessore, according to police.
They are Tanjib alias Ashraful, his brother Tanjir Ahmed and sister Masuma Akhter.
Masum Akhter who completed bachelors and masters from Dhaka University was a “primary member” and Tanzib was “Moshref” of the militant outfit, police said.
In the backdrops of recent militant attacks across the country, the two brothers and one sister realised their mistakes and decided to return to normal life, Tanjib said.
“Recent brutalities committed by the militants touched my conscience. We felt repentant,” he said, adding that the call from the prime minister and other high police officials for the misguided to return to the right way, they decided to surrender and to return to normal life.
At a press conference, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police (Khulna Range) SM Moniruzzaman said, in a bid to return to normal life, they have decided to surrender to police.
The siblings, who were among the Jessore’s blacklisted militants, were on the run after getting bail last year.
The blacklist of 11 militants in Jessore also includes three other members of the family.
Moniruzzaman said all types of legal assistance will be ensured for the siblings for their return to normal life.
“Other members of the family still have the chance to come back to normal life,” he told journalists.
Tanjib said that when he was a student of Botany at Jessore Government City College in 2014, he used to hang out at tea stalls at Dharmatola in the suburbs.
There he got introduced with Hizb-ut Tahrir leader Sajal, who was on August 11 this year also surrendered before police.
ALSO READ: Three 'Tahrir leaders surrender' to police
Sajal reportedly used to give him various books and leaflets on religious issues and thus he gradually involved with the militant outfit. Later, he brought his family members in the organisation, he added.
Earlier on August 11 and 21, four Hizb-ut Tahrir militants surrendered to law enforcers in Jessore.
Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Haque earlier assured that the youths who joined militancy can avail a second chance by getting back to normal life if they are willing.
ALSO READ: No police harassment if you quit militancy, IGP says
Police will not harass them further if they leave militancy and return to normal lives, the police chief said at a programme in Cox’s Bazar on July 24.
Meanwhile, Benazir Ahmed, director general of the Rapid Action Battalion (Rab), on July 18, announced Tk 10 lakh reward if any activist of militant outfits returns to normal life and gives specific information about their activities.
Apart from this, Tk 5 lakh will also be given to anyone who provides specific information about activities of terrorist and militant groups, the Rab DG also said.
The country has experienced a spate of militant attacks including the recent Holey Artisan Bakery and Sholakia attacks this July. The recent attacks were carried out by youths.
Comments