Ronaldinho out, Pato in | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 13, 2008 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, March 13, 2008

Ronaldinho out, Pato in

Milan's 18-year-old striker Alexandre Pato is to make his Brazil debut after being named in the squad for the friendly against Sweden in London later this month.
Barcelona's Ronaldinho was left out while four other uncapped players were called up, coach Dunga naming several hopefuls for the Beijing Olympics.
Dunga urged Brazilians not to get carried away with the recent performances of Pato, who was included in the squad for last month's game with Ireland but had to pull out because of injury.
"Alexandre has played some good games but, in the desire to create another star quickly, people get carried away," said Dunga.
"We mustn't put too much responsibility on him. Young players have problems with consistency, their performances vary a lot."
Although Ronaldinho has been playing for Barcelona recently, Dunga suggested that the former World Player of the Year was not fully match fit.
"He's getting better, he's starting to play again and it's important that he continues this way," he said.
"With the Brazilian team, there's not much time to train. We have two important World Cup qualifiers in June and we want him to be fully fit by then."
Brazil are away to Paraguay in June and face Argentina at home four days later.
Dunga also called up uncapped goalkeeper Diego Alves, defender Leo, midfielder Hernanes and forward Thiago Neves.
Dunga will also be in charge of the Olympic team, where Brazil are attempting to win their first soccer gold medal.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

fifa world cup

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top