Taj Mahal briefly shut, tourists evacuated after bomb threat call | The Daily Star
12:21 PM, March 04, 2021 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:23 PM, March 04, 2021

Taj Mahal briefly shut, tourists evacuated after bomb threat call

The Taj Mahal in Agra was briefly shut and tourists were evacuated his morning after Uttar Pradesh Police received a call about a bomb at the iconic monument. The call was made to the police helpline, NDTV reports.

Authorities conducted through checks following the bomb threat. Entry to tourists resumed a little after 11 am, the report said.

For all latest news, follow The Daily Star's Google News channel.

A senior police officer said no bomb has been found so far and that efforts are on to trace the caller.

"This morning, an unknown person called on UP 112 and said there will be a bomb blast at the Taj Mahal. Immediately, as per SOP, our bomb squad and other teams conducted a thorough search of the premises. So far, our field units haven't given any information of such an item being found," NDTV quoted A Satish Ganesh, Inspector General, Agra, as saying.

"I'd like to assure everyone that 99 percent, it is a hoax call. But we are following the drill," the inspector general said.

The Taj Mahal was reopened for tourists last September with strict coronavirus safety guidelines after being shut for tourists for over six months. It has been closed since March 17 due to the pandemic.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top