Killing of ASP: Another Mind Aid director arrested | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, November 13, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:36 AM, November 13, 2020

Killing of ASP: Another Mind Aid director arrested

Police yesterday arrested another director of Mind Aid Psychiatry and De-addiction Hospital in connection with a case filed over senior ASP Anisul Karim's death on Monday.

Fatema Khatun Moyna, 41, was arrested at her home in Dhanmondi around 12:00pm, DMP Deputy Commissioner (Tejgaon) Harun-Ur-Rashid told The Daily Star.

She is the second director to be arrested, bringing the total number of arrests in the case to 12.

The other directors -- Abdullah Al Mamun, Sakhawat Hossain, and Sazzad Amin -- are still on the run.

Dr Md Niaz Morshed, was arrested on Tuesday night from the capital's National Institute of Neurosciences and Hospital, where he was undergoing treatment for paralysis.

The 10 arrested staffers of the hospital are each on a seven-day remand.

Police said the hospital was being run without clearance and licence from related government departments. The facility was closed by police on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, expressing grave concern over the death of the senior ASP following the assault by hospital employees, Jahangirnagar University BCS Officers' Forum (JUBOF) yesterday demanded proper legal action against those responsible.

"Brutality in the name of medical treatment by Mind Aid Hospital authorities is not acceptable at all… The country lost a meritorious officer," read the statement signed by JUBOF President Monowar Ahmed, secretary of Economic Relations Division at Ministry of Finance and the organisation's General Secretary Md Abdul Ahad, deputy commissioner (DB) of DMP.

Anisul's father Faijuddin Ahmed filed the case with Adabor Police Station on Tuesday, accusing 15 people, including the five directors of the hospital, over murdering his 35-year-old son.

According to family members, Anisul had been suffering from mental stress. He kept quiet for three to four days before being admitted to the hospital in the capital's Adabor area on Monday.

Analysing the CCTV footage of the hospital, it was seen that Anisul was dragged into a soundproof room by several staffers and thrown to the ground by six employees.

Two more employees dressed in blue grabbed his leg and two others hit him with their elbow. Hospital staffer Arif was present all the while. Anisul's hands were tied behind his back with a piece of blue cloth.

There were no doctors at the soundproof room, police said.

The Tejgaon DC termed the incident an 'obvious murder'.

Anisul, appointed as a police officer in the 31st special BCS, was working for Barishal Metropolitan Police (traffic). Earlier, he had served the DMP, Rapid Action Battalion, and the Police Headquarters.

He was the father of a four-year-old child.

Anisul was a 33rd-batch student of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Jahangirnagar University.


Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News