Brutally tortured man lands in hospital | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, February 28, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:34 AM, February 28, 2020

Brutally tortured man lands in hospital

A man, brutally tortured allegedly by a moneylender and his family members at the latter's house at Baluadanga of Dinajpur Municipality, is groaning in pain at M Abdur Rahim Medical College Hospital.

The victim is Md Manik Hossain, 45, son of late Meharab Ali of Baluadanga area of Dinajpur town.

"After torturing my husband Manik Hossain overnight, they handed him over to police on February 21, branding him as a thief," the victim's wife Samsun Nahar, 35, said at a press conference at Dinajpur Press Club yesterday noon.

Family members and a few villagers were present there. 

"My husband, a paramedic on dentistry, runs Open Dental Care at Baluadanga. He borrows money from Shahidul Islam, 50, on interest in times of need and repays the debt in time.

"Shahidul's son Sayem Sultan, alias Sweet came to Manik's chamber at around 8:00pm on February 20 and requested him to go to his home to see his grandfather.

"After Manik went there, Shahidul, his wife Jesmin Begum, 42, their sons Shahin Sultan, 23, and Sayem Sultan, 19, asked him to repay the debt of Tk 2 lakh. As Manik replied that the debt had been paid off, they started torturing him, which continued overnight.

"Large scars appeared on his back due to merciless beating with metal rods. Blood clotted around his left eye due to repeated punching and a nail of a finger of his right leg was pulled out with a pliers. His both legs below the knees were injured as he was hit with bamboo sticks.

"At around 11:30am next day, Shahidul informed me over phone that Manik was under his captivity. I went there but did not find my husband there.

They asked me to repay Tk 2 lakh for his release. I learnt that Shahidul's family members handed him over to police," Samsun Nahar told the press conference. 

Police showed him arrested in a theft case and he got bail from a local court the next day.

Contacted, Shahidul Islam said, "Manik entered my house compound after climbing the boundary wall on Thursday evening, which angered my family members. They gave him several slaps, which left him injured."

"A gang of burglars looted valuables worth Tk 30 lakh, including Tk 14 lakh in cash from my house on February 14 evening. And I filed a case with Sadar Police Station without mentioning anyone's name the next day. I am not involved with any moneylending business," he claimed.

Manik's wife Samsun Nahar said she filed a complaint to police over the torture of her husband on February 22, but police is yet to register it as FIR.

Inspector Bazlur Rashid said action will be taken after investigation.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News