A woman and her daughter were burned to death while her son sustained burn injuries as a fire broke out at their house in Rajnagar upazila of Moulvibazar early today.
Deceased Rokeya Begum and her daughter Shahina Begum, a fourth year student of Moulvibazar Government College, were residents of Bujbal village in the upazila.
Injured Munna Aziz is undergoing treatment at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital, reports our Moulvibazar correspondent.
The fire that originated from a short circuit broke out around 2:00am when they were asleep at their tin-shed house, said Billal Hossain, assistant sub-inspector of Moulvibazar Police Station.
Hearing their screams, locals broke the locked doors of the house and tried to douse the fire. On information, a fire fighting unit rushed there and put out the flame later, ASI Billal said.
Shahina was burned alive in a room while Rokeya and Munna were rescued and taken to Moulvibazar Sadar Hospital with severe burn injuries.
Later they were shifted to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital where Rokeya succumbed to her injuries, said Polash Roy, a resident medical officer of Moulvibazar Sadar Hospital.