Five houses gutted
At least five houses and four shops were gutted in a fire in a bazar area of the district town yesterday. Fire service sources said the fire originated from an electric short circuit at a shop in the area and soon engulfed the adjoining shops and houses. On information, army personnel and firefighters rushed to the spot and doused the blaze after one and a half hours of frantic efforts. The affected house and shop owners claimed that the loss caused by the fire could go up to Tk 20 lakh.