Tonu's family wants justice
12:00 AM, November 23, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:22 AM, November 23, 2017

Tonu's family wants justice

CID quizzed her family members

The family of Sohagi Jahan Tonu has once again sought justice as they were quizzed at the CID headquarters in the capital yesterday.

The CID officials, who interrogated five members of the family, wanted to know whether they had any proof to substantiate their claim that a security personnel and his wife were involved in the sensational murder.

“We told them to take them [the security personnel and his wife] in custody and interrogate them,” Tonu's brother Anwar Hossain Rubel told The Daily Star.   

“We all asked for justice.

It has been almost 20 months since my sister's murder but the investigators have failed to arrest anyone," he said, adding that the CID officials claimed to have made progress in the probe.

The investigators also reassured the family of justice.

Apart from Rubel, his mother Anwara Begum, father Yaar Hossain, his cousins Minhaz Hossain and Laizu Jahan were interrogated separately after they arrived at the CID office around 10:00am as asked.

During the interrogation that started around 1:00pm, CID officials first talked to Laizu. Rubel and Minhaz were quizzed in the afternoon while his parents in the evening.   

Abdul Kahar Akanda, additional deputy inspector general of CID, told The Daily Star that “we talked to the family members [of Tonu] on different issues. We tried to verify some information that we had gathered during our investigation."

Meanwhile, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan yesterday said the family of Tonu was called to the CID headquarters for the sake of investigation.

"The investigation is underway and I believe it will reveal the real story."

Tonu, a student of Comilla Victoria College and also a theatre activist, was found murdered inside Comilla Cantonment on March 20 last year.

Two autopsies could not determine the cause of her death though her father Yaar Hossain, who first spotted the body in a bush, saw the back of his daughter's head smashed and injury marks on her nose.

But the police inquest report did not mention any sign of injury.

However, the family members saw a ray of hope for getting justice as CID officials through DNA tests found that Tonu was raped before being murdered.

The officials on May 16 last year said the tests of the specimens collected from her clothes found spermatozoa of three males. But CID has not been able to match the DNA samples with anyone so far.

Related Topics

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News