Rifat Murder Case: Trial starts at Barguna court
12:00 AM, January 09, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:42 AM, January 09, 2020

Rifat Murder Case: Trial starts at Barguna court

The trial of Rifat Sharif murder case began yesterday in Barguna District and Sessions Judge’s Court with the first prosecution witness testifying. 

Judge Md Asaduzzaman recorded the statement of victim’s father Dulal Sharif, also plaintiff of the case, against 10 accused. 

Rifat’s wife Aysha Siddiqa Minni is among the accused. There are 37 witnesses in the case.

Plaintiff’s lawyer Mojibul Haq Kislu said Dulal burst into tears while describing the murder of his son at the court. He sought justice for the killing of his son and demanded exemplary punishment to all who were involved in the heinous crime. 

Meanwhile, Public Prosecutor Sanjib Das appealed to the court for cancelling Minni’s bail as she “threatened two witnesses of the case”. 

In another development, a juvenile court in Barguna indicted 14 juveniles in the murder case.

After hearing from the prosecution and the defence, Judge Hafizur Rahman framed the charges and set January 13 for starting their trial, said lawyer Mojibul.

Earlier, 13 juvenile accused were brought to the court from Jessore Juvenile Development Centre, while another accused, who is out on bail, appeared before the court.  

Thirteen juveniles were charged under sections 302 and 34 of the Penal Code for their alleged involvement in the Rifat murder, while another accused was charged under sections 302, 120 (B) 1, and 212 for allegedly taking part in the planning of the killing and helping the accused flee, the lawyer added.

On June 26 last year, Rifat, 25, an internet service provider, was hacked to death in broad daylight in front of his wife Minni in Barguna town.

Police submitted the charge sheet against 24 accused -- 10 adults and 14 juveniles -- in the murder case in September.

On January 1 this year, Judge Md Asaduzzaman of Barguna District and Sessions Judge’s Court framed charges against the 10 adult accused.  

Of them, Minni is on bail, and eight other accused are in jail. Another accused Musa is absconding, and the court issued an arrest warrant against him, the lawyer said.

Police arrested Minni on July 16 for her alleged involvement in the killing. A Barguna court placed her on a five-day remand the following day. Three days later, the court recorded her statement under section 164.

On August 29, the High Court granted bail to Minni on conditions that she cannot talk to the media and she will remain in her father’s custody.

Besides Minni and Musa, eight other adult accused are Rakibul Hasan Rifat Faraje, Al Kaiyum alias Rabbi Akon, Mohiminul Islam Sifat, Rejwan Ali Khan alias Tiktok Redoy, Md Hasan, Rafiul Islam Rabbi, Md Sagor, 19, and Kamrul Islam Saimun, 21.

In a CCTV footage, Minni was seen screaming and trying to save her husband from the attackers.

Name of the key accused Sabbir Hossain Nayan alias Nayan Bond has been excluded from the charges as he was killed in a “gunfight” with police on July 2, six days after the murder.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top