Losing Leg in Road Crash: Victim’s plight continues | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, September 03, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:09 AM, September 03, 2019

Losing Leg in Road Crash: Victim’s plight continues

Doctors operate on her amputated leg to check infection; bus driver held

Doctors have cut another three inches off the amputated leg of Krishna Roy Chowdhury as it became infected. The BIWTC official lost her left leg in an accident in the city’s Banglamotor area a week ago.

“We carried out an operation on Sunday and cut off part of her left leg from above the knee,” said Prof Abdul Gani Mollah, director at National Institute of Traumatology and Orthopaedic Rehabilitation(Nitor).

“She may need two or three more surgeries and stay at the hospital for about a month,” Gani, head of the 10-member medical board treating Krishna, told The Daily Star yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) arrested Morshed, 35, driver of the Trust Transport Services bus, on Sunday night, five days after the vehicle hit Krishna on a pavement.

Speaking to this newspaper at the Nitor yesterday, Krishna said she was hopeful about walking again.

She said she had been bearing almost all her family expenses since her husband Radhe Shyam Chowdhury, a college teacher, retired in 2008. Her family was worried whether she would recover soon.

Doctors said Krishna would have to wait more than a month after a full recovery to have a prosthetic leg.

“The accident has destroyed my life and family. I want proper compensation for my treatment and rehabilitation and also for the suffering I would have to endure throughout the rest of my life,” Krishna said.

Earlier, the family refused a compensation offer of Tk 2 lakh from the bus owners. It filed a case with Hatirjheel Police Station against Morshed, his assistant, and owners of the bus.

Krishna’s son Kaushik Chowdhury said, “It is not something that a car was damaged in an accident and you give some money to the car owner… we want justice and proper compensation.”

Krishna, 55, assistant manager (accounts) at Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Corporation (BIWTC), was injured in the accident on August 27 when she was on her way to a private bank in Banglamotor from her nearby office.


Following his arrest from the capital’s Kazipara area around 10:30pm Sunday, Morshed told police that he was on his first trip with the bus of Trust Transport Services, PBI Inspector Jewel Mia, who led the drive, told The Daily Star.

He claimed that he could not control the bus while trying to avoid hitting a car.

Morshed said he had a driving licence for medium-duty vehicles. He, however, could not show the licence to the PBI.

He had been an assistant of a bus driver for long. Before sitting behind the steering wheel of the Trust Transport bus, he used to drive a car, the inspector said, quoting the arrestee.

Morshed told police that pedestrians had beaten him up after the accident. But he somehow managed to escape and went to his village home in Kishoreganj.

He became afraid after seeing the accident news on newspapers on August 28. He used to stay at his relatives’ houses at night to dodge law enforcers.

A PBI team conducted a raid at his village home, but he managed to avoid arrest. He later left his village home for the capital, the PBI official said.

Yesterday, the PBI handed Morshed over to Hatirjheel police.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News