Three injured as gas cylinder explodes
Three people were seriously injured as a gas cylinder exploded at a local residential hotel at Government Residential Road in Maijdee Court of Sadar upazila yesterday.
The injured are Md Abdul Matin, 38, balloon vendor of Sadar upazila of Chandpur district, assistant lawyer Sumon Chakraborty, 40, of Chatkhil upazila and Fazlul Hoque, 45, of Hatiya upazila in the district.
All of them were admitted to Noakhali Abdul Malek Ukil Medical College Hospital. Among them, condition of Abdul Matin and Sumon was reported grave.
Nizam Uddin, officer in-charge of Sudharam Model Police Station, quoting locals said, at about 12:30pm, Abdul Matin was filling gas in balloons at a hotel room. All of a sudden, the cylinder went off with a big bang. At that time, Sumon and Fazlul were talking near the room.
On hearing the sound, locals rushed to the hotel and saw Matin groaning with his left leg blown off while chest and abdomen of Sumon were seriously damaged and left hand of Fazlul Hoque burnt and got fractured.
On information, police rushed to the spot and took them to hospital with the help of locals.
Abdul Matin came to Maijdee Court to sell balloons on the occasion of 'Mauktijuddher Bejoy Mela' which began in the town on December 10, the OC added.