No let-up in outlaws' bomb attacks in Jhenidah
Despite drives by police, joint forces and Rapid Action Battalion (Rab), there is no let up in bomb attacks and other crimes in Jhenidah, mainly by outlaws.
At least 21 incidents of bomb attacks took place in the outlaw infested district in last six months, injuring at least 28 people.
Most of the victims were businessmen and well to do farmers. The victims also included political leaders, teachers, lawyers and other professionals.
The latest victim, farmer Kasim Mondol of Pabahati village in Sadar upazila, is now fighting for life at Jhenidah Sadar Hospital. A bomb explosion blew off his left hand and critically injured both eyes, hospital sources said.
Most of the attacks were made for denial in toll payment to outlaws, Jhenidah Police Superintendent Jahangir Hossain Matabbar said while talking to this correspondent yesterday.
Allegations have it that a section of policemen in the district maintain links with the outlaws either out of fear or for share of the toll money.
The police superintendent however refuted the allegations and said he has no such report. Stern action will be taken if any policemen is found involved with outlaws, he said.
“Jhenidah is an outlaw infested are and it is not easy to root out criminals overnight”, he said.
“We are trying to arrest the criminals”, he added.
Six alleged outlaws were arrested and a hardened criminalRajuwas killed in encounter with police in last two months, the police superintendent said.
According to police and intelligence agencies and newspaper reports, at least 21 bomb attacks took place in Jhenidah till yesterday since November last year.
This correspondent also talked to some people who got cell phone calls from outlaws. They said the outlaws demand toll and threaten them with death or abduction for non-compliance. The phone call receivers seldom inform police fearing retaliation and often negotiate with outlaws for their safety, they said.
Chaatra League leader Mahbub Alam, former vice-president of KC College Students Union, and teacher Rabiul Islam of Mallik Shahidul Islam Technical College were injured in bomb attacks on On November, 18 last year.
Doctor Younus Ali of Ghoshpara village in Sadar upazila was critically injured in a bomb attack on December 12 last year.
Five farmers--Kawsar Biswas, Ziaur Rahman, Abu Taleb, Rabiul Islam and Atiar Rahman of Durgapur villagewere injured in bomb attacks by terrorists on December 26.
On January 26 this year, Dablu, body guard of former lawmaker Moshiur Rahman, was injured when a bomb was hurled on him while e was taking tea at a tea stall in the town.
On February 10 terrorists hurled three bombs on Raj Motors, a shop in the town. Its owner Abdur Razzak, organising secretary of district bus owners association and his two sons --Alkamgir Hossain and Jahangir Hossain and another person were injured in the attacks.
On February 12, three powerful bombs exploded at a brick field at Kumrabaria village in Sadar upazila as its owner did not fulfill the criminals' demand.
On March 4, terrorists hurled bombs on the house of NGO director Harun-or- Rashid and his filling station in the town. The filling station came under bomb attacks also on March 26 and April 23, injuring thee employees and damaging equipment.
Another filling station owned by Awami League leader Nayeb Ali Joarder at Garagonj bazaar in Shailkupa came under bomb attack on March 6. some machines there were damaged.
On April 27, four bombs were hurled on Barsha filling station in the town. Khabir, a worker was injured.
Comments