One seriously hurt in NAM flat fire
A woman suffered 65 percent burns to her body after a fire broke out in her apartment at a NAM building in the capital's Banani yesterday.
Shahana Khanam, wife of Nilsagor Group Chairman Ahsan Habib Lelin, lies in the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital struggling for life.
Two of her domestic helps, Romana Akhter and Habibur Rahman, suffered minor injuries in the fire, which started from a gas stove around 11:12am and lasted about 15 minutes, damaging the kitchen and the adjoining dining room, said fire officials.
Family sources said the fire erupted after the three heard a sound of an explosion from the refrigerator, which they were cleaning out.
Shahana and the other two were rushed to DMCH by her husband Lelin, also managing editor of online news portal, poriborton.com.
Attendants at the ICU of the burn unit where Shahana was admitted said she was fully conscious, and her injuries spanned the chest and the back, indicating possible lung damage. They arranged for a life support system for her.