Assistant teacher candidates stage fresh protest in Shahbagh

Candidates facing the cancellation of their appointments as assistant teachers in government primary schools continued their protest in Dhaka's Shahbagh today, demanding reinstatement.
Nearly 150 protesters were staging a sit-in in front of the National Museum in Shahbagh as of 1:30pm, sources said.
They had been staging a similar demonstration in the area since Monday morning, halting traffic at the busy intersection for hours.
On Monday, police used batons, water cannons, and sound grenades to disperse the protesters. However, the demonstrators remained on the road despite the police action.
The protesters claimed that their appointments had been revoked "unfairly".
In a statement, they said the recruitment process was conducted in three phases, with the first two phases completed and appointments made. However, no decision has been taken regarding the third phase, leaving thousands in uncertainty, The Daily Star previously reported.
"A total of 6,531 candidates were included in the final merit list but have yet to receive their appointments. We urge the authorities to resolve this issue immediately," the statement added.
Comments