Teesta bridge to be ready by June 30
Communications Minister Obaidul Quader has said the Teesta bridge will be opened to traffic in July this year.
“Construction work of the road bridge over the Teesta River will be completed by June 30 this year and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the bridge in July,” the minister said while visiting the bridge in Kaunia upazila of Rangpur yesterday morning.
He ordered the construction firms and the high officials of the Roads and Highways Department (RHD) to complete the works within the deadline.
Talking to the journalists, the minister said June 30 is the cut-off date for finishing construction work. No further delay in construction of the bridge will be tolerated.
State Minister for Primary and Mass Education Motahar Hossain, Lalmonirhat District Administrator advocate Matiar Rahman, and high officials of the Roads and Highways Department accompanied the communications minister during his visit.
Construction work of the 750-metre-long bridge began on September 7 in 2006 with an estimated cost of Tk 87 crore. It was scheduled to be completed by September 6, 2009.
Two construction firms--Amin-Delim (Bangladesh) and ASCO (India) are constructing the Teesta bridge in a joint venture. Bangladesh government provided 85 percent of the fund while the rest was given by the Kuwati government.
Mujibur Rahman Mollah, RHD Executive Engineer of Teesta bridge Project, said 90 per cent work of the bridge has been completed and the construction firms will complete the rest 10 percent by June this year.
“With the opening of the bridge, a long-cherished dream of about 45 lakh people of Lalmonirhat and Kurigram districts will come true,” said Lalmonirhat District Council Administrator advocate Motiar Rahman.