Worker dies in septic tank
A construction worker died while cleaning an underground septic tank at Aga Sadek Road in the capital's Bangshal yesterday.
Fire brigade personnel rescued unconscious Mir Hossain, 30, and took him to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), where doctors declared him dead.
Hossain's co-worker Hridoy Miah told reporters at DMCH that around noon yesterday the victim and six others were working inside the under-construction septic tank.
The victim's nephew Monir Hossain went inside the septic tank and started feeling sick. Mir Hossain went in to help him and lifted his nephew out of the tank, but he himself could not get out.
Two co-workers went inside the tank in a bid to rescue Mir Hossain but got out quickly, leaving the victim behind, as they also started feeling sick.
Fire brigade was informed and they took out Mir Hossain from inside the tank.
Ruhul Amin, fire brigade divers team station officer, told The Daily Star that there was about two feet deep water inside the 12 feet by 20 feet septic tank.
As the small opening of the tank was closed for a few days, Ruhul Amin suspected that toxic gas formed inside which caused the death of Mir Hossain and made the others sick.