Central library at JU
150 seats for 9487 students.
Library is the heart of any educational institution. It makes one a complete human being by gathering knowledge. So every educational institution should provide the best library facility. But the Jahangirnagar University library is in an awful condition. The extremely poor condition is hampering the students' habit of reading.
A total of 9487 students are studying in the university of which most of them are from not very well to do families. They cannot buy all the books needed to continue their study. The central library is the only way for them. The University authorities started the construction of the present library building on 30 November 1979 with plan to build a 3-storied building with a space of 1 lakh square feet. But only 55 percent has been completed so far. 41 solid years have gone by but the university authorities are still unable to complete the rest 45 percent portion.
Other notable problems are: there are only 150 seats as against 9487 students; the number of books is inadequate, and a good number of them are too old, with pages torn off. Sometimes students find books in the catalogue but not in the library.
The library problem will increase if steps are not taken immediately. We urge to university authorities to move quickly in this regard to ensure a congenial atmosphere for the students.