Eight dead in Kandahar suicide attack
Three American soldiers and five Afghan civilians have died in a Taliban suicide attack on a police base in southern Kandahar province, Nato said yesterday.
A suicide car bomber rammed the compound entrance before insurgents fired rockets and machine guns in Tuesday evening's raid.
Afghan police backed by Nato troops repelled the attack, Nato said.
Earlier on Tuesday, a rogue Afghan soldier killed three British soldiers in Helmand province.
Nato said a "full-scale manhunt" is under way for the Afghan soldier, who escaped after killing the three Gurkhas in Nahr-e Saraj.
In the suicide attack on the Kandahar police base, international troops and police fought off the insurgents, Nato said.
The compound belongs to the elite National Civil Order Police, which operates within the Afghan police force and mans 11 checkpoints around Kandahar city.
The dead civilians were three Afghan translators and two security guards, Kandahar provincial police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai told the Associated Press news agency.