Prevent a fungal nail infection
A fungal infection of the fingernails or toenails can make them hard, brittle and discolored.
To avoid a fungal infection, you can follow these nail-care suggestions:
* Keep nails trimmed, with thick areas filed down.
* If you have an infection, use different files or cutters on the infected ones to avoid spreading the problem.
* If you have to submerge your hands in water, wear waterproof gloves to keep hands dry.
* Make sure socks are made of 100 percent cotton. Put on a clean pair every day, and change them when socks become damp and sweaty.
* Sprinkle socks with an anti-fungal foot powder, and make sure your toes have plenty of wiggle room inside your shoes.
* Don't walk barefoot in public places, especially in locker rooms.