Kaiser cancels Brazil trip
German football legend Franz Beckenbauer is cancelling his trip to the World Cup in Brazil in the light of FIFA suspending him for 90 days over the investigation into the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, he told the German media on Saturday.
The 68-year-old, who won the World Cup both as a player and as a coach in 1974 and 1990 respectively, told daily newspaper Bild he did not feel he would be made welcome after FIFA announced he had been suspended because he refused to speak to investigators looking into allegations that Qatar paid bribes to secure votes for its 2022 World Cup bid.
"I won't be going to Brazil," said Beckenbauer, whose sole title these days is honorary president of Bayern Munich.
"I am basing that decision on the fact I will not be welcomed by FIFA."