Police probing 'excesses' on Rab personnel
A committee assigned by the Police Headquarters is investigating the six incidents of “police excesses” against members of Rapid Action Battalion as alleged by the Rab director general last month.
The three-member committee, formed on October 9 with Deputy Inspector General (media and planning) AKM Shahidur Rahman as its head, has been asked to submit its report as soon as possible, said sources at the headquarters.
Two other members are Additional DIG (discipline) at the Police Headquarters Abul Alim Mahmud and Director (operations) at the Rab Headquarters Lt Col Mahbubul Alam.
The committee will also recommend measures to avert such incidents in future.
Rab Director General Benazir Ahmed in a letter dated September 27 to Senior Home Secretary Mozammel Haque Khan alleged that police on several occasions assaulted Rab personnel even after knowing their identities. “In some cases, police hit Rab members with sticks and even rifles.”
A list of the six incidents was attached with the letter.
Benazir, himself a top police official, requested the senior home secretary to take action against the persons at fault and other necessary steps to avoid any unwarranted incident.
Officials at the Police Headquarters said two of the six incidents have already been investigated by high officials of police and Rab and both police and Rab members were found guilty in those cases.
The officials dealing with the two incidents recommended departmental actions against the police and Rab members responsible.
One incident took place at the entrance of Armed Police Battalion Headquarters in the capital's Uttara while the other in Chittagong, the officials added.
Four other incidents were also investigated by high officials of police. In two cases, they found that the police members concerned showed highhanded attitude. In the other two cases, it was Rab members who violated rules, said an official wishing anonymity.
Referring to two incidents that took place at Tangail and in the capital's Mirpur, the official said they took place as Rab members violated traffic rules.
AKM Shahidur Rahman, head of the three-member committee, however, refused to make any comment about the matter.
CIRCULAR TO BE ISSUED
The Police Headquarters will soon issue a circular instructing police and Rab members not to get locked in any brawl, said a top police official.
“If any such situation arises, the senior person on the spot, be it a police man or a Rab member, will make an immediate decision and report it to the higher authorities,” said another official, wishing anonymity.
Through the circular, the Police Headquarters will also instruct law enforcers to take photos of the event and the person in case of any rules violation by any force member, and send the photos to the higher authorities.
Comments