Private sector vital for SDGs | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, March 07, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, March 07, 2019

Private sector vital for SDGs

Private sector's engagement is vital for achieving Sustainable Development Goal 6 that stands for ensuring availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all, speakers said at a programme yesterday.

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in collaboration with WaterAid organised the event at InterContinental Dhaka.

Abul Kalam Azad, principal coordinator for the SDG affairs at the Prime Minister's Office attended the programme as the chief guest.

Azad put emphasis on private sector's involvement in achieving the SDG 6, saying Bangladesh needs to spend 2.5 percent of its GDP to ensure water and sanitation for all.

“Of the funds, 80 percent will come from the government and the rest 20 percent from the private sector,” he said, adding the ongoing five-year plan has touched upon the SDGs, but the next one will incorporate the goals in details.

He also hailed the HSBC for its role to ensure access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene in the country.

Francois de Maricourt, chief executive officer of HSBC Bangladesh, said, as the world's leading international bank, it is committed to supporting clients to develop sustainable supply chains that support their global growth ambitions.

“We look forward to continuing to work with WaterAid to deliver essential water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services that transform working and living conditions and improve water management in Bangladesh's apparel sector,” Maricourt said.

Md Khairul Islam, country director of WaterAid Bangladesh, presented a keynote paper highlighting the efforts of WatrAid and HSBC.

He said businesses should be part of the solution to the global water, sanitation and hygiene challenge – this, in turn, can present business benefits and opportunities as well.

“Engaging business and industry partners is a vital step in driving action and creating transformational change, and can profoundly accelerate the country's efforts in reaching the SDG 6 targets by 2030.”

Matthew K Lobner, group general manager of HSBC's Asia-Pacific region; Kedar Lele, CEO and managing director of Unilever Bangladesh; Kyoko Yokosuka, deputy resident representative of UNDP Bangladesh; Rubana Huq, managing director of Mohammadi Group; and Sultan Ahmed, director general of the Department of Environment; took part in the discussion moderated by Dr Ainun Nishat, Professor Emeritus at BRAC University.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top