Anxious wait for safe return
The two Bangladeshi workers released by their alleged militant captors at Sirte in Libya could not reach Tripoli till yesterday as journey to the war-torn country's capital took longer than expected.
ASM Ashraful Islam, counsellor (Labour Wing) at the Bangladesh embassy in Libya, confirmed last night that two security personnel were sent by the workers' employer to escort them to Tripoli.
Unknown militants had released and abandoned the two workers at a hospital in Sirte on Tuesday. They also informed the employer about the release, said Ashraful.
“We are in constant touch with the employer who confirmed us that the workers are being brought to Tripoli from Sirte,” he said.
Though the distance from Sirte to the capital was not more than 800 kilometres, the journey was taking more time than usual as they were travelling through a number of serious flashpoints, said Ashraf.
“They can travel only during daytime. Night journey is very risky as groups of militants often take travellers hostage at night,” he said.
Although Ashraf could not say when exactly the Bangladeshi workers would safely return to Tripoli, he was hopeful of receiving them by Friday.
He said the employer's company -- Value Added Oilfield Services (VAOS) Ltd -- has so far been the only source of information regarding their whereabouts as frequent communication with travelling people was not allowed due to the journey's dangerous nature.
Unknown militants had abducted Anowar and Helal along with four Filipinos, an Austrian, a Czech and a Ghanaian from Al-Ghani oil field, south of Sirte, on March 6.
On Tuesday night, the Bangladesh foreign ministry issued a press release saying the two Bangladeshis had been released and they were staying at a Sirte hospital over the night.