Elderly woman murdered | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, December 16, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 06:17 AM, December 16, 2017

Elderly woman murdered

Three more found dead in capital

Milgrade Gomes

An elderly woman was killed in her apartment in the capital's Tejgaon early yesterday.

The body of Milgrade Gomes Milu, 65, was found with a deep gash to the throat. She also suffered a knife injury on her right arm, police said. 

Her husband Hubard Anil Gomes, 80, who was the only one in the apartment at the time of the murder, told reporters that four to five masked men entered the apartment after he opened the door in the morning hearing knocks.

The men blindfolded and tied him up and killed his wife, he added.

Police and family members said the couple's four sons live in Canada and the USA.

The woman seemed to have been murdered around 7:00am in the apartment on the second floor of the three-storey building owned by her husband, Biplob Kumar Sarker, deputy commissioner of Tejgaon Division Police, told The Daily Star.

He, however, said police did not find any evidence of outsiders entering the flat.

The victim talked over the phone minutes before the incident, the officer added.

Around 8:00am, the couple's part-time maid Khurshi Begum Sathi informed other residents of the building that the couple was not opening the door.

When some of the residents started knocking on their door, Anil opened it. The residents saw Milu's body in a pool of blood in the living room and called the police.

Police reached the scene and sent the body to Dhaka Medical College morgue for an autopsy.

Milu owned two apartments on Green Road.

Mazharul Islam, officer-in-charge of Tejgaon Police Station, said they were investigating whether the woman was killed over her property or some other family feud.

He added that a knife was found on the scene.

Her husband Anil and the maid Sathi were being interrogated.

The victim's nephew Shojib Gomes told The Daily Star that the couple came home from Canada in October and was planning to go back next year after by selling their properties in Bangladesh.

He added that he was unaware of any enmity they might have had with anyone.

“We have not been able to find their passports and travel documents in the apartment,” he said. 

Biplob Kumar Sarker said Anil's clothes were bloodstained and there were scratches on his face and hands.

Anil was not in good health and seemed to suffer from poor memory as he gave contradicting statements, the officer said.

Anil told police that he did not see anyone in the apartment as he was in the bathroom at the time of the incident, an account that contradicted with what he told reporters.

“We will also see whether Anil killed his wife due to any influence of the medication he was on. Police will examine his medicines.”


Police recovered a beheaded and limbless body of a man from a suitcase abandoned on the street in the capital's Kallyanpur yesterday morning.

Selimuzzaman, OC of Darussalam Police Station, told The Daily Star that locals found the suitcase and informed the police.

Motijheel police recovered the body of street vendor Ziarul Islam, 25, from the water tank of a bank.

Omar Faruque, OC of Motijheel Police Station, said the cause of his death was unknown.

On Thursday afternoon, police recovered the body of a seven-year-old boy in Uttar Khan area.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

fifa world cup

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News