Can Manchester United keep Ronaldo this season?
Manchester United are adamant that Cristiano Ronaldo is not for sale and will still be at Old Trafford next season, despite the Portugal striker being linked with a stunning move to Premier League rivals Chelsea, while reports say clubs like AS Roma, Sporting Lisbon are also in contact after Bayern Munich refused the signing roumors.
Ronaldo enjoyed an impressive return to United last season – at least on an individual basis – scoring 24 goals in 38 appearances and being voted for the PFA Player of the Year award.
The 37-year-old signed a three-year contract when he re-joined Manchester United last summer but he was linked with a move away from Old Trafford throughout the 2021-21 campaign and that speculation has only increased since the end of the season.
Ronaldo, desperate to win trophies at United and get back into the Champions League, is said to be concerned by the club's transfer strategy, with several deals stalling in the early stages of the transfer window.
On Saturday, it was reported that new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly had met Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes in Portugal, where the player's future at United and a possible move to Stamford Bridge was discussed.
It is unclear at this stage whether Chelsea will want to pursue the opportunity — which is also believed to have been spoken about with serial German champions Bayern Munich — and as things stand, United intend to keep him at Old Trafford.
Ronaldo is known to retain a huge affinity for United and does not have any problem with their new manager Erik ten Hag.
"I was and still am very happy to be here," Ronaldo said in a recent interview.
"I know (Ten Hag) did a fantastic job for Ajax and that he's an experienced coach but we need to give him time and things need to change the way he wants.
"I hope we have success. I wish him the best. We are happy and excited. Let's believe that next year we are going to win trophies. I believe that Manchester (United) will be where they belong. Sometimes it takes time, but I still believe."
Although his affection for the club is undoubted, the former Real Madrid and Juventus forward is thought to harbour concerns about United's lack of transfer activity so far this summer.
While Chelsea's interest in Ronaldo is unknown, Thomas Tuchel is desperate to bolster his attacking options this summer after sanctioning the departure of £97.5m flop Romelu Lukaku, who is set to return to Inter Milan on a season-long loan.
The Blues have also been linked with Raheem Sterling and Robert Lewandowski and it appears that Chelsea will be left disappointed if they do make a move for Ronaldo as United are adamant he is staying put.
Meanwhile, Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport claim that super agent Jorge Mendes has offered Cristiano Ronaldo to Jose Mourinho's Roma.
The report details how the 37-year-old Portuguese star seems likely to leave Manchester United this summer after remaining unconvinced about new coach Erik Ten Hag, and recent rumours have linked him with a move to Bayern Munich. This has been denied but this is to be expected, as no other response would be given regardless.
Whispers in Rome have been talking of a possible Ronaldo move to Roma for weeks now, with an infamous voice note, which seems to detail the player's arrival, spreading like wildfire on WhatsApp. Bookmakers are even getting involved now and putting a move to the Giallorossi at 2:1 odds.
Mendes reportedly offered Ronaldo to Roma as he looks to find a new club for his client. The fact that Mourinho is also represented by Mendes only helps a possible deal and there's no saying what could happen if all three sat down together.