US warship targeted

Two missiles fired from rebel-held territory in Yemen fell short of a US warship patrolling the Red Sea off the coast of the war-torn country, the US navy said yesterday.
The USS Mason "detected two inbound missiles" within an hour of each other from around 7:00 pm (1600 GMT) on Sunday, said US Naval Forces Central Command spokeswoman Paula Dunn.
The destroyer had been "conducting routine operations in international waters" at the time, she said in a statement.
"Both missiles impacted the water before reaching the ship," said Dunn, adding that "there were no injuries to our sailors and no damage to the ship".
"We assess these missiles were launched from Huthi-controlled territory in Yemen," she said, referring to the Iran-backed rebels fighting Yemen's internationally recognised government.
The Huthis described as "unfounded" reports they fired missiles at the US destroyer. Rebel forces "did not target any warships," said a spokesman quoted by the insurgents' sabanews.net website.
Also yesterday, the Arab coalition fighting the Iran-backed Huthis accused the rebels of firing a ballistic missile towards the southwestern Saudi city of Taif.
The missile was one of two which the Saudi-led coalition intercepted on Sunday, the coalition said, adding the other was launched toward Marib, east of Yemen's rebel-held capital Sanaa.
Comments