Honeymoon over for Allen?
Texan billionaire Allen Stanford is set to turn his back on cricket after losing 40 million dollars on his million-dollar-a-man series, a report said Wednesday.
The Daily Mail newspaper said Stanford was poised to end his five-year-deal with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after just a year.
A similar deal with West Indies cricket authorities would also be terminated, the report said.
The report said Stanford had made heavy losses after paying his victorious Stanford Superstars team 20 million dollars for the Twenty20 showdown against England in Antigua last month, while another 20 million dollars went on television and sponsorship deals connected to the event.
Stanford was expected to fund the competition for a further four years, while he was also expected to bankroll the England Premier League Twenty20 tournament from 2009.
Comments