Lockdown in East Rajabazar: Strictly enforced on the first day | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, June 11, 2020 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:43 AM, June 11, 2020

Lockdown in East Rajabazar: Strictly enforced on the first day

The first day of the lockdown in the capital's East Rajabazar was enforced strictly yesterday, with no one except those on emergency duty, including doctors, nurses and journalists, allowed to go outside.

A few businessmen, service holders, including bank officials, and other residents tried to leave the area in the morning, but they were sent back by law enforcers and volunteers, who were stationed on Green Road beside IBA Hostel, the only exit kept open.

Law enforcers restricted media personnel's entry inside.

East Rajabazar was locked down on Tuesday midnight on an experimental basis after the area with some 500,000 people was put in the "red zone" in the face of rising number of Covid-19 infections and deaths.

The move came when the country is struggling to put the brakes on ever-increases coronavirus cases.

Authorities said police vigilance was increased and army patrol ensured in East Rajabazar. Volunteers organised by the local ward councillor helped locals get essential items.

Sujanur Islam, sub-inspector of Sher-E-Bangla Nagar Police Station, said they were working to strictly enforce the lockdown to stem the spread of coronavirus.

He said a coronavirus sample collection booth set up in the area took samples from suspected patients. Besides, daily essentials were supplied to the residents as per requirements.

He also said seven out of eight points to leave the area were sealed off using bamboo poles. Traffic movement was restricted and shops, excluding some medicine stories, remained closed, he added.

A photojournalist of this daily who was not allowed in said some residents ordered food and other items online and they had to pick it at the entry points.

Shamim, who lives in East Rajabazar, said an eerie silence gripped the entire area. The usual hustle bustle was missing. 

Porimol Palma, another resident, said he could not find any electrician to fix his ceiling fan, which suddenly stopped working on Tuesday night.

Many residents said they stored foods for at least a week after the authorities announced through loudspeakers that the lockdown would be imposed.


Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News