Treatment using candles at Osmani medical as floodwaters submerge ground floor, patients moved
"I was on the ground floor. After the water entered, I came to the balcony of the first floor along with other patients. There is no electricity. Candles are being used. I don't know how to get treatment," said 58-year-old Farooq Ahmed, who was admitted to the Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital.
Patients, doctors, and staff of the top Sylhet hospital are in tremendous crisis today as floodwater submerged the hospital's ground floor, and electricity connection was cut off, reports our Sylhet correspondent.
Shishir Ranjan Chakraborty, vice principal at Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College, said that there was knee-deep water on the ground floor of the hospital. Considering this situation, the patients from the ground floor were shifted to the first floor.
He said there was no electricity. The main generator was not working as water entered the generator room in the ground floor.
Patients are being treated using candles from this noon as electricity connection was cut off all over the district, said Shishir Ranjan Chakraborty, also the head of medicine department of the hospital.
Three alternative generators have been brought in on an urgent basis. Efforts are being made to run the operation theatre and Intensive Care Unit (ICU), the doctor added.
Geeta Das, who came with another patient, said, "My husband is admitted to this hospital. I came from the ground floor to the first floor. I am wondering whether the patient will be moved somewhere else again."
MAG Osmani Medical College inundated; class, exam postponed
The authorities of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College today postponed its all classes and examinations after the college campus were inundated due to the ongoing floods and not having electricity.
"It is no longer possible to continue the education activities of the college. There is also water in the hostel. There is no electricity. As a result, the college has been closed for six days until next Friday," Shishir Ranjan Chakraborty said.
The students were asked to vacate all the rooms and to try to move to a safe shelter, he said.