Prosecution witness gives testimony against ex-Sonagazi OC

Former officer-in-charge of Sonagazi Moazzem Hossain
Former officer-in-charge of Sonagazi Police Station Moazzem Hossain being taken out of Cyber Tribunal in Dhaka on June 17, 2019 after the court denied him bail in a case filed for illegally recording the statement of sexual-assault victim Nusrat Jahan Rafi. Star file photo

A tribunal has started trial against Moazzem Hossain, former officer-in-charge (OC) of Sonagazi Police Station, in a case filed for recording Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi without her consent and spreading the video footage on social media.

The Dhaka Cyber Tribunal today began the trial proceedings with recording testimony given by prosecution witness Syed Sayedul Haque Suman in connection with the case filed under the Digital Security Act.

Supreme Court lawyer Sayedul Haque, who is the plaintiff of the case, told the court that Sonagazi OC Moazzem recorded a video of madrasa student Nusrat while questioning about sexual harassment by her madrasa principal Siraj Ud Doula on March 27, which is a violation of law.

“Later, the video was circulated on Youtube and social media,” he told the court.

“I saw the video on April 11 around 9:30am while staying at the High Court’s Shamsul Haque Chowdhury Hall Room,” he said.

During the hearing, Faruk Ahmed, a defence lawyer, filed a petition with the court seeking time. But the court rejected the petition.

Acting Judge Sheikh Nazmul Alam of Dhaka Cyber Tribunal later set August 20 for the next hearing of the case.

On April 15, SC lawyer Sayedul filed the case against Moazzem with the tribunal under the Digital Security Act.

On July 17, the tribunal framed charges against suspended former Sonagazi OC Moazzem Hossain in the case.

Nusrat, a student of Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa in Sonagazi upazila of Feni, was set ablaze on April 6 allegedly for refusing to withdraw a case filed against the madrasa principal Siraj Ud Doula for sexually harassing her.

After fighting for her life for five days, Nusrat died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital on April 10.