Mother, son die after taking 'energy medicine' | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, December 21, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:06 AM, December 21, 2018

Mother, son die after taking 'energy medicine'

A woman and her son died after consuming energy stimulating medicine given by a kabiraj (herbal medicine practitioner) relative in Badarganj upazila of Rangpur on Wednesday.

The victims were Kasiran Begum, 102, and her son Nur Hossain of Foyezpara village under the upazila.

Two other family members also fell sick after consuming the homemade medicine. They are Abdus Salam, 50, and Nur Zahan, 32. All of them were taken in critical condition to Rangpur Medical College Hospital (RMCH).

The kabiraj is Mozibar Rahman, 75, of Jamalpur and a son-in-law of deceased Kasiran Begum. He was arrested.

Badarganj Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Anisur Rahman said Mozibar came to visit to his relatives in the upazila 10 days ago. He prepared an energy stimulating medicine at home on Wednesday and gave it to his relatives to eat.

After consuming the medicine, they all fell sick.

As their condition was worsening at home, locals rushed them to Badarganj Upazila Health Complex. Later, doctors referred them to Rangpur Medical College Hospital as their condition deteriorated. The mother and son died there.

The bodies were sent to RMCH for autopsy, the OC said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top