2 killed in Jessore, Pabna ‘shootouts’

Two people are killed in separate “shootouts” with police in Jessore and Pabna early Wednesday, June 15, 2016. AFP file photo

Two people, including the prime accused in a police official murder case, were killed in separate “shootouts” with law enforcers in Pabna and Jessore early today.

Among the deceased, Rubel Hossain was the prime accused in Assistant Sub-inspector Sujaul Islam Suja murder case filed in Pabna. Identity of another dead killed in Jessore could not be known immediately.

ASI Suja murder prime killed in Pabna

Police arrested Rubel, son of Idris Ali of Diarbaghail village in the upazila, from near his house around 11:00pm yesterday, UNB reports quoting Officer-in-charge of Ishwardi Police Station Biman Kumar Das.

Later, a team of police along with Rubel conducted a drive in Padmar Char area in Ishwardi upazila to arrest another accused in the murder case, Ibra Hossain, at about 3:00am.

Sensing presence of the law enforcers, associates of Rubel, who were staying there, opened fire on them, forcing law enforcers to fire back that triggered a “gun battle”.

Rubel was caught in the line of fire and seriously injured while his other associates managed to flee the scene, the OC said.

He was rushed to Ishwardi Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared him dead.

Police recovered two revolvers and two rounds of bullet from the spot.

Earlier on October 5 last year, police recovered the body of Sujaul Islam Suja, an ASI of the police station, from a field at Pakshi in the upazila.

"Robber" killed in Jessore shootout

An alleged robber was killed in a “gunfight” between his cohorts and police at Shotighata village in Sadar upazila. His identity could not be known immediately.

On information that a gang of criminals was planning to commit robbery at Shotighata, a police team reached there around around 2:30am, said Md Ilias Hossain, officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station.

Sensing presence of the law enforcers, the criminals fired 8/10 shots targeting the police team.

In retaliation, police also opened gunfire triggering a “gunfight” that left one of the gang member injured.

He was taken to Jessore General Hospital where he was declared “brought dead”.

Later, police recovered some sharp weapons and rope from the spot.