Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) will be placing restrictions on traffic in Dhaka University and other key areas on New Year eve.
The New Year, as it happens, will fall on the day after Bangladesh will be voting in the 11th parliamentary election.
The restrictions are:
1. The residents of Gulshan, Banani and Baridhara are requested to return to their abode before 8:00pm. After 8:00pm they can only use Kamal Ataturk Avenue(Kakoli) and Amtoli crossing (Mohakhali) to enter these areas as other roads will remain closed.
2. From 8:00pm onwards city dwellers would not be allowed to use the crossings at Phoenix Road of Tejgaon Industrial Area, Road-11 in Banani, Chairman Bari, Amtoli, Shooting Club, Badda Link, DOHS and Notun Bazar to enter Gulshan, Banani and Baridhara areas but the roads can be used as exits.
3. Resident teachers, students and staff are requested to enter the university area through Nilkhet and Shahbagh crossing after showing valid identities from 6:00pm, December 31, 2018 to 6:00am, January 1, 2019.
4. Palashi crossing, Vaskarja crossing, Bakshi Bazar crossing, Romana Chattar crossing, Doel Chattar crossing and Shahidulla Hall crossing will remain off limits for all types of motor vehicles.
5. All the vehicles coming from the direction of High Court point could take the left turn at Doyel Chattar and exit through Chankharpul crossing.
6. No one must drive after drinking.
7. In any emergency regarding road usage people can call DC traffic (North)-01713373225, ADC traffic (North) 01713373223, ADC traffic ( South)-01713373224, DC (Gulshan)-01713373166 and DC (Uttara)-01713373156.