No headway in 4 years; colleagues demand probe by PBI or CID | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, January 13, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:12 AM, January 13, 2019

Ctg Nursing College Teacher Murder

No headway in 4 years; colleagues demand probe by PBI or CID

With no headway in investigation in four years, colleagues of Anjali Devi -- a senior teacher of Chittagong Nursing College (CNC), who was hacked to death in broad daylight in the port city -- demand that administration hand over the case to Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) or Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

The current investigation officer (IO), Moinur Rahman, also wants to hand over the case to PBI or CID for the sake of intensive probe.

Contacted, Moinur, also an inspector of the detective branch (DB), said the investigation was on.

“We are busy with several cases and naturally cannot intensively concentrate on a single case,” he said, adding, “It'd be better if the case is handed over to Police Bureau of Investigation or Criminal Investigation Department.”

Students and colleagues of Anjali expressed their frustration as police could not solve the case. They also demanded the case be investigated by PBI or CID.

Romena Akter, a colleague of Anjali at CNC and president of Chittagong Divisional Nurses' Association, said they are upset as police have failed to arrest anyone in the case.

“Anjali was a teacher at CNC, her husband and two daughters are doctors... If the murderers of someone with above average social status cannot be arrested, how can average people trust law enforcers to ensure their security?” asked the teacher.

“We don't understand how police are conducting investigation... They have failed to find any clue behind the murder in the last four years,” said Romena, adding, “The case should be handed over to either PBI or CID.”

Anjali Devi, 57, was brutally hacked by four masked assailants on Telipatti Road of Chawkbazar on her way to college around 8:45am on January 10, 2015. According to sources in police, it does not seem like a case of mugging as the attackers did not take Anjali's mobile phone, money or handbag.

Anjali died at Chittagong Medical College Hospital (CMCH) around 12pm that day.

DB of Chattogram Metropolitan Police was assigned to investigate the case after victim's husband Dr Rajendra Chowdhury filed a murder case with Panchlaish Police Station.

Deputy Commissioner of DB (CMP North zone) Mostain Hossain expects that the criminals would be identified and arrested soon.



Contacted, Inspector Keshab Chowdhury, who investigated the case for one year in 2016, said, “There was no CCTV at or around the spot,” adding, “Moreover, the eyewitnesses could not give a clear description of the attackers.” 

After the murder, Anjali's husband Rajendra left their house in the city and moved to his village home in Hathazari upazila of the district, said sources. Their daughters currently reside in Dhaka.

Rajendra could not be contacted for his comment as his cell phone was switched off.  

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News