Sports
Serie A

Rumour fuels Rome fiasco

The highly-charged derby between Roma and Lazio was sensationally called off at half-time on Sunday evening after rumours spread around the Olympic Stadium that a young boy had been killed outside the ground.

After consulting with the players the referee Roberto Rosetti stopped the game at the start of the second half with the score level at 0-0 for the sake of public order.

Officials feared for the safety of the 65,000 fans inside the ground as many spectators tried to escape the choking effects of tear gas which had been used to quell trouble outside the ground.

The police denied the rumour that a boy was killed after being run over by one of their patrol cars.

"No one was run over, no one died," city council spokesman Maurizio Improta, told Sky television.

One eyewitness report suggested a boy overcome by tear gas fell to the floor just as a police van was hurtling by and was later collected by an ambulance.

Some fans close to the scene are said to have drawn their own conclusions and used it as an excuse to go on the rampage.

Italian football league president Adriano Galliani, who is also vice-president of league leaders AC Milan, said he advised Rosetti to suspend play.

"I took the decision because I was convinced that the conditions had made it impossible to play on," he said.

"I spoke to many people on the pitch and I chose the safest option. Certainly, it was a difficult decision.

"I talked to Rosetti, but also with (Roma coach Fabio) Capello and (Roma director Franco) Baldini.

"I asked what truly happened and that the local council told me that reports of a young boy's death were false.

"I told the referee to suspend that match and the game will definitely be replayed.

"Why did I decide to call the match off? I had two choices and I went with the one that my conscience was telling me to go for."

Roma are second in Serie A, 10 points behind leaders Milan, while Lazio are fourth and chasing a place in next season's Champions League.

Earlier Sunday, Inter Milan ended a six-match winless run to keep alive their hopes of a top four finish.

A 2-0 victory over bottom club Ancona was Inter's first league win since February 1 and lifted Alberto Zaccheroni's underachieving team into sixth place on 40 points.

Inter's mercurial Uruguayan international Alvaro Recoba broke the deadlock in the 61st minute with a powerful left-footed strike before providing the cross for Daniele Adani to head home the second nine minutes later.

Perugia showed they have the stomach for a relegation scrap with a narrow away win at in-form Lecce, their third victory in five matches.

Franco Brienza and Marco Di Loreto scored for the visitors before Wilfred Dalmat's late goal ensued a nervy finale for the Umbrian club, who held on to triumph 2-1 in Puglia.

Perugia remain second from bottom behind Empoli for whom Tomaasi Rocchi's stoppage-time equaliser earned a 1-1 draw at home to Sampdoria.

Reggina boosted their chances of surviving the drop at the expense of fellow strugglers Modena with a 2-1 win in Emilia Romagna,

Siena's status in the top flight still remains under threat despite earning a 1-1 draw at Chievo, while Bologna would appear to be out of danger after thrashing Brescia 3-0.

Ancona remain rooted to the bottom on seven points with Perugia on 22, Empoli on 23 and Modena on 25. Reggina, Lecce and Siena are all tied on 27 points.

On Saturday, Milan chalked up their 12th win out of 13 with an impressive 3-1 victory over Parma at the San Siro where Danish striker Jon Dahl Tomasson scored twice and set up the third goal for Andrei Shevchenko.

Reigning champions Juventus fell further off the pace after being held to a 0-0 draw at Udinese.

Comments

প্রধান উপদেষ্টার ঘোষিত সময়েই নির্বাচন হবে: প্রেস সচিব

আপনারা জানেন, সেপ্টেম্বরের শেষ সপ্তাহে দুর্গাপূজা। দুর্গাপূজা ঘিরে দেশে যেন কোনো ধরনের ষড়যন্ত্র, কেউ যেন অস্থিতিশীল পরিস্থিতি সৃষ্টি করতে না পারে, সে বিষয়ে সকল রাজনৈতিক দলকে সজাগ থাকার এবং সকলের...

২২ মিনিট আগে