The telecom regulator's restrictions on Grameenphone will remain in effect as the High Court today dropped from its hearing list a writ petition filed by the country's leading mobile operator in this connection.
The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim made the writ petition "out of list" after virtually holding hearing on it. GP's lawyer Barrister Mahfuzur Rahman Khan told the HC bench that his client would not proceed with the writ petition as it is moving for a settlement over the issue through discussion with Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission.
Earlier on June 28, Grameenphone filed the writ petition with the High Court, challenging legality of BTRC's decision that imposed two new restrictions on the country's telecom market leader.
The petition also sought stay on the restrictions imposed by the BTRC on June 21.
According to the restrictions, Grameenphone will have to secure prior approval from the telecom regulator before rolling out any packages or offers.
The mobile operator will also have to ensure that all of its existing packages and offers are validated by August 31.
However, for new offers and packages, the directive will become effective on July 1.
GP's lawyer earlier told The Daily Star that his client filed the petition as it did not violate any rule or law concerned, adding that even the BTRC itself did not make any allegation against GP of abusing its dominant position in the market.
On June 21, the operator received a letter from the BTRC imposing the two restrictions.