U19 WC in Bangladesh: Aussies pull out over security | The Daily Star
01:54 PM, January 05, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 03:38 PM, January 05, 2016

U19 WC in Bangladesh: Australia pull out over security concerns

Australia have pulled back its team from participating in the Under 19 cricket World Cup in Bangladesh over what the board said security concerns.

The announcement was made on Cricket Australia’s (CA) website today.

Senior men's side of the country postponed their scheduled tour of Bangladesh in October due to security fears and CA have monitored the situation in the country ever since.

“Regrettably, the advice from our government suggests the security threat to Australians travelling to Bangladesh remains as high now as it was when we postponed the Test team’s tour of that country late last year,” said CA CEO James Sutherland in the statement.

“Included in that is reliable information suggesting there is a high threat to Australian interests in Bangladesh,” he said in the statement.

Sutherland added that families of diplomatic staff in Bangladesh had also been authorised by the Australian government to return home.

"We have not taken this decision lightly and we apologise for the inconvenience this may create for the organisers of the tournament - in particular the ICC and BCB (Bangladesh Cricket Board)."

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top