MAKING THE PERFECT PLAYLIST
Since everyone has a smart-phone these days, it's easier to get a good playlist in order, having multiple playlists for different moods. Moreover, a great playlist as a mixtape makes for a neat gift for your loved ones. So, how do you make a good one? Let's see.
1. Have a versatile song collection and listen to them. You need this knowledge to know which songs would be best for what occasions.
2. Define a purpose or the audience of this playlist. Is the playlist for when you're feeling down, or when you're having one of those rare "I'm invincible!" moments? Is it for a party at your place next weekend? Is it a gift for someone? If so, who, and why? Are you trying to cheer them up or encourage them, or trying to break up with them via a playlist? Know the purpose of this playlist before you start making it so you know what type of music you are looking to put in it.
3. If it's a mixtape intended as a gift, know that person's musical preferences. There's no point in giving a Rabindra Sangeet fan a collection of obscure Norwegian death metal tracks, or vice versa.
4. Sit with some time to finally make the playlist. Most of the songs here will come from your own collection. Once you've defined the purpose of the tape, it becomes much easier. Go through your music collection and add all songs that you think will go well for that particular mood. Don't procrastinate or think much, just add, but ensure the songs are fit for that particular playlist. For example, one shouldn't add Sir Mix A Lot's Baby Got Back in a mixtape for someone they just started dating.
5. Edit after a day's rest. Go through the playlist with all the songs you added, and start deleting those songs that are not absolutely necessary, or those that you're pretty sure you'll skip while listening to the tape. Choose wisely those that you want to keep. Add more that you had initially not selected, if need be.
6. You can cheat a little. Open 8tracks or YouTube and search the tags for the type of mood of your playlist. For instance, search the tags for "rain" and listen to people's set playlists. That way, you get to discover more music and might as well find something that's worthy of being on in your perfect rainy day playlist.
7. Set the order of your playlist in a way that makes sense for the optimal musical experience (especially if it's a mixtape meant as a gift) set the order of songs in a way that tells a story. On the other hand, if you aren't a fan of order, select the 'random' option while playing your own playlist.
8. Regularly modify the playlist by adding or removing songs from it, or by shuffling the order of the playlist. This doesn't apply for a mixtape for gift.
9. Lastly, pick an apt name for your playlist. Get creative.
A perfect playlist for every moment is fuel for us to keep going. Follow the MIXTAPE section of Shout if you're looking for recommendations. Plug in your earphones, select your new playlist, and chill out.