Myanmar asks UN court to ‘drop genocide case’ | The Daily Star
09:35 PM, December 12, 2019 / LAST MODIFIED: 11:14 PM, December 12, 2019

Myanmar asks UN court to ‘drop genocide case’

Myanmar today urged the UN top court to drop the application for provisional measures in Rakhine by the Gambia from its list.

Myanmar civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi made the call to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) while defending the Gambia’s claim of genocidal intent against Rohingyas on the third and final day of hearings in The Hague.

"Myanmar requests the court to remove the case from its list", Suu Kyi said.

A 17-member panel of judges of ICJ was hearing a case, the first international legal attempt to bring Myanmar to justice over alleged mass killings of the Rohingya minorities in 2017, filed by the Gambia on November 11.

Earlier in the afternoon, the Gambia claimed that the evidence of Rohingya genocide by the Myanmar military still stands in Rakhine.

The lawyers for the African country made the claim while placing their argument against Myanmar’s denial of genocidal intent against Rohingyas at UN top court on the first round of the final day of the hearing.

Myanmar systemically denied access of UN fact-finding mission and other international human rights agencies to hide the evidence of genocide, the Gambia’s lawyers said.

But the genocide evidence still stands there, a lawyer told the International Court of Justice.

The Gambia also criticised Myanmar civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi for her "silence" over "awful serial violations" of Rohingya women and girls and defending Myanmar at the UN's top court.

Related Topics

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star Android & iOS News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 22222

Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222


Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top